Friday, September 13, 2013

The Fame Game

Before I get a scathing e-mail or comment that this post is doing nothing but stroking my self-important and self-anointed "Oh I'm famous" ass, let me start off by saying that I do not think, for a nanosecond of my simple middle-class life that I am remotely famous in any denomination whatsoever.

Yes, the visibility of Lepak One Korner and A Son Of A Peach is increasing, but no, I do not think I qualify to call myself (and nor do I think my body of work warrants such a title) the slightest bit of a celebrity.

And this disassociation with the whole "fame game" on my part is the reason why I get tongue tied whenever someone comes and say hello or to tell me how much they love my work.

I'll be honest, there have been an increasing number of times when someone would approach me and I'll just stand there for a good 5 seconds just not knowing what to do or say. Many times it would just be a lot of smiling and a little "thank you". Sometimes, it would just be an endless splatter of "thank you so much, thanks, thank you, thank you".

Whenever I re-think about the whole incident and replay the entire scene in my head moments after it had happened, I can't help but feel slightly stupid.

"You could have asked for their name and asked them to follow you on Twitter, to look out for you next video, to subscribe to SGAG on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, to help spread the word and continue with their support instead of just saying thank you, god!" Star said, rolling her eyes when I told her over dinner last night during the group's usual outing.

"Someone is obviously a bigger fame whore than all of us combined," Melanie said, eyes still scanning the menu.

"Oh shut up! All I'm doing is to increase awareness and make our friend here more famous!" Star raised her voice.

People were starting to look at our table.

"Not because you will be the best friend of a celebrity in the near future?" Melanie shot back.

"Well I was his friend when he was a nobody so screw you!" Star huffed, slouching back to her head.

"Guys, stop, I'm not a celebrity, I find this whole celebrity thing slightly far fetched to be honest," I explained to them.

"But not an impossible feat considering the amount of attention that you've been gradually receiving in public," Steve smiled.

"Oh Steve, I don't know, this is all happening too early and too fast," I laughed.

Just then a waiter came to our table and started taking our orders. Right before he left, he begrudgingly smiled at me and softly asked, "You're that guy in Lepak One Korner right?"

Almost machine-like, I instantly smiled and nodded my head.

"You're funny, I like your work and your friend is hilarious too," he smiled.

"Thank you so much," I kept nodding.

"And don't forget to follow him on Twitter and help spread the word okay? And look out for his next video!" Star suddenly chipped in.

"Sure will!" the waiter said and left to key in our orders.

"What? I was just helping..." Star shrugged.

P/S: Thank you all for your support and do continue to like the pages, videos on YouTube and Twitter and continue spreading the love. I'm still new to this whole thing so pardon my awkwardness if you all ever had the opportunity to meet me in public. I'm as starstruck at your love for me.

Mr. H


No comments:

Post a Comment